I am officially mother to a one year old.
Its hard to believe that this time, a year ago, I went to the birth
house in the morning, stopped by the hospital around 12pm, ( had a two
hour labour) and was home with a 2.5kilo baby by 4pm in the afternoon.
a year on - here are some of the things I love about being a mother,
in no particular order....
simple pleasures Kai has given me...
- How excited he gets when Oliver or I come home - his whole face
lights up!(it does not matter if its five minutes, or hours)
- That he shares his food with me. Even his last morsel, it could be
half a sultana, - he wants to share it with me. He also loves
feeding me with a spoon, even though he uses his hands to feed
- That i get a big kiss after feeding him milk, * every-time without
fail* - which is accompanied by his "ahhh" sound,( which he
thinks is the noise you have to make when giving kisses)
- That I awake to a big smile every morning! he is such a happy
morning baby :)
- That he is so affectionate. Big towel - wrapped cuddles and tickles
are top favourites, and watching oli and I kiss, he loves it!
- when he eats something he likes, it is followed by animated clapping
of his hands (raisin toast gets this reaction a lot)
- the elation on his face when he accomplishes something for himself -
like the first time he managed to walk around the table by himself.
- how excited he gets when he sees a puppy, or any kind of animal for
- the "naughty" look he gets when doing something he knows he is not
supposed to ( like drink the water in the shower drain)! this
"look" comes complete with teeth showing, which adds to the
- poking his tongue out at Oli and I when we do it. Cute. Cute. Cute.
- how he loves to examine intricate things, often with just one
finger. he loves plucking the guitar, single strings at a time.
- That he loves playing. He will chase me around the lounge room on
all fours, laughing. hide and seek is endless hours of
- the love of music and dance, often Kai and I will have a dance
around the kitchen to the radio.
- that he talks to his own reflection. he babbles away to himself,
and occasionally will kiss his own reflection.
- how proud he is to show me when he can command his own body to do
something, like kick his legs, or bounce in the bouncer/
- that he will raise his shoulders and both hands as if to ask
"why?!" when he does not understand something.
- Finally, he loves to laugh. he laughs at strangers, he laughs along
with me at me when I find something funny, he laughs watching me
when I do yoga and, sometimes i do not know what he finds funny, he
just has a private little chuckle to himself.
of course, this list is an endless one.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BABY. Mummy loves you. Ich liebe dich.
very very much.